Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Egypt: Presto Chango




# 522


Earlier today I blogged about an announcement on the Egyptian Government Website about a confirmed H5N1 case from Monday, one that was vehemently denied at the time. You can read about it here.


I've been waiting for this announcement to hit the news wires. As of 12:30 hrs EDT, it hasn't.


Having a suspicious nature, I returned to the webpage and find the link to the `announcement' is now gone. The permalink (at least for now) still takes you to the article.


Exactly what is going on, I can't say. But the following three screen captures leave a lot of unanswered questions.



Exhibit A - The BIRD FLU IN EGYPT links page this morning at 0830 hrs EDT












Exhibit B - The `announcement'















Exhibit C - The `revised' link page sans announcement link at 12:00 hrs EDT










And like magic . . . it's gone.



Click on any of the above pictures to see a larger, and clearer view.



Perhaps the web site was hacked, or perhaps the story was prematurely posted on the site. Or perhaps they are doing some housekeeping on the site, and will restore the link shortly. I haven't a clue.


I'm just thankful I documented the changes.


We'll check back from time to time, and see if we can find out exactly what is going on with this story.


For now, it's another Bird Flu mystery.