Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Your Medical Hx On A USB Card?

 

 

# 4512

 

 

As a paramedic long ago, roughly around the time dinosaurs walked the earth, I know how difficult it can be to get a good medical history from someone in the midst of a medical emergency.   

 

Sometimes they are unconscious, other times they may be confused, intoxicated, forgetful or simply overwhelmed by events.  All too often, people are simply unaware of the details of their medical history. 

 

You ask if they are taking any meds, and they respond . . .

 

`Yes,  I take two white pills in the morning, a white and a blue one at noon, and two white, 1 blue and a red at bedtime . . . “

 

You ask if the patient has any cardiac problems, and they respond . . .

 

No . . . but my doctor says I have a `weak heart’.”

 

No . . I’m not kidding.

 

Taking a history usually involves a tortuous session of 20 (or more) questions – and the results are often less than optimal.  

 

Recently my Sister and Dad were in a serious auto accident.  She was airlifted to a Tampa trauma center, while he was transported by ambulance to a local hospital.

 

Although my Dad had a list of his meds and a brief medical history in his wallet, my sister did not, and for a couple of hours the trauma center was operating at a great disadvantage.  My sister had a concussion, and was no help in providing information.

 

I finally got a list faxed from her doctor’s office to the ER, and provided as much detail on her medical history as I could over the phone.

 

I carry a simple medical ID card in my wallet (see Those Who Forget Their History . . .), which lists my meds, brief medical history, along with emergency contact and doctors names.

 

medhx1

medhx2

 

In a medical emergency, minutes can make the difference between life and death.  And even in less urgent cases, having all of this information can go a long ways towards speeding your treatment.

 

You should make it a point, this week, to get medical history forms for every member of your family – regardless of their age – and fill them out.

 

Except for small children, everyone should find a way to carry it with them at all times.This is not a one-time, make it and forget, prep.  You need to update it every time you add or change your medications, or your medical history changes.

 

It only takes a few minutes now. But it could save a lot of time later.

 

 

Recently however, I had an opportunity to look at a new high-tech solution called an ICE Medical ID Card.

 

image

 

Sold in a variety of incarnations (and prices) online, or via pharmacies (CVS seems to be a big provider), these credit-card sized USB flash drives have a built-in data-entry program that allows you to store the same sort of information as the low-tech handwritten version I carry  PLUS room to store a photo ID, scanned medical tests, a living will, DNR, or other important documents.

 

This is a nifty idea, and I may buy one for myself (CVS sells them for under $20), although I have a few reservations.

 

First, you have to have access to a Windows Computer in order to read the contents of this card – a barrier not encountered with a written medical history card. Equipment available in most hospital emergency rooms or a doctor’s offices . . . but not always in the field.  

 

Second, and more concerning, it is plays fast and loose with computer security rules to be plugging possibly malware or virus infected USB flash drives into a hospital, ambulance, or Doctor’s office computer or network.  

 

I have to wonder how willing most providers are going to be to access these cards.  USB devices are easy enough to hack that I would have concerns about plugging one from an unknown source into my computer system.

 

 

Third, you have the ability (and incentive) to put a lot of sensitive personal and medical information on one of these cards – legal documents, lab tests, insurance information – that if you lost your wallet, and it got into the wrong hands, could invite identity theft.

 

And finally it requires a certain comfort level with (and access to) a Windows computer in order to input the information in the first place.

 

High-tech phobia, particularly among the elderly (my 85 year-old father for instance), could prove a substantial barrier to using these cards – particularly since they need to be updated when one’s medical history changes.

 

Despite these concerns, I am tempted to get one of these cards and to keep it - along with my low-tech handwritten medical history card – in my wallet.  

 

The ability to store scans of radiologist’s reports, recent lab tests, and a copy of my living will are powerful incentives for me, even if they might not be immediately accessible in every instance.

 

Almost every technological advance comes with downsides to consider.  Unintended consequences. And a period of time where acceptance and utilization may be low.

 

As much as I like this concept, until the security and acceptance concerns I mentioned above can be addressed, I’m reluctant to rely solely on one of these USB Cards, and will keep my handwritten card updated as well.

 

Which I suppose makes me only half a Luddite. 

 

I would be interested in responses from those in the health care field as to how you view these cards, and how likely your facility would be to access them. 

 

You can either comment here, or email if you prefer anonymity.

 

I’ll be talking to several doctors over the coming weeks about this, and If I get enough reader’s responses, I’ll follow up with another post on this in the future.