Monday, May 12, 2008

No Blogger Is An Island

 

#  1977

 

 

Although it is my name (and sadly) my picture that adorn the banner of this page, this blog is by no means the result of one person's efforts. 

 

Much of what I do stems first from the hard work of others.

 

 

As you read these ramblings, often you will find a `hat tip', an acknowledgement to a poster, usually a newshound, who has posted an article or a link on one of the flu forums. 

 

Newshounds are dedicated members of the flu forums (see the links in my sidebar) that devote hours every day scanning foreign and English Language newspapers for any tidbit relevant to pandemic influenza in general, or to bird flu, or other emerging infectious diseases in particular.  

 

What they do requires talent, skill, and tenacity.   I couldn't do this blog without them.

 

It isn't easy finding a bird flu relevant story when it is written in Arabic or Chinese.  These newshounds have developed sophisticated methods of searching for `key words' that tip them off that an article might be on topic. Then they must run the entire text through a translator, sometimes through several, to get the most readable English translation.

 

Their work, and their expertise, doesn't stop there, however. 

 

Newshounds are experts at `reading between the lines', and deciphering cultural references.  Over time, many of these newshounds have become very knowledgeable about the region of the world they cover.   They often provide context and analysis with their translations.

 

And quite frankly, while I do a bit of newshunting on my own, there is no way I could cover the hundreds of news sources that combined, these newshounds do so well.

 

I've tried in the past to list the most active newshounds, but each time I find the list is incomplete, and important contributors are left out.  

 

Instead, I would simply suggest that readers keep an eye out for the `hat tips', and know that these people are doing an invaluable service, at their own expense and with no compensation, so that more people can know what is going on around the world.

 

I often get emails from readers suggesting topics for me to cover, or relaying a news item, or simply raising issues that I incorporate into my blogs.  

 

Some of you (you know who you are), write me regularly, and I want you to know that it is greatly appreciated. Your emails often serve as a muse for my column.

 

On most days, I spend a fair amount of time chatting online with people whom I respect, that give me feedback on these essays, and who give me their perspective on the issues.  Once again, you know who you are, and I thank you for all of the input.

 

And of course, there are the news reporters around the world that cover pandemic and influenza topics.  The number of truly outstanding health and science reporters is limited, but they include  Helen Branswell, Maggie Fox, Maryn McKenna, and Jason Gale, Lisa Schnirring and Robert Roos of CIDRAP . . . just to name a few.

 

And I'd be remiss if I did not mention the people at the HHS who have twice invited me to take part in major pandemic planning events over the past year.  Being granted a small glimpse of the inner workings of the HHS's pandemic planning has both been a privilege and a pleasure.

 

 

And of course, there are the folks I've worked with with Get Pandemic Ready, and the Readymom's organization.  Plus everyone who took part in the HHS Leadership Blog in 2007.  This blog has opened up amazing opportunities, and enabled me to make many friends.

 

And lastly, but far from least, is the help and support I get from other Flu bloggers.  Crof, Scott McPherson, SophiaZoe, The Reveres, Maryn McKenna . . . the help, support and perspective I get from you guys is valued more than you'll ever know.

 

 

As you can see, no blogger is an island.  We depend on news reporters, Internet news hounds, advice and perspective from friends and colleagues, and emails and comments from our readers.  

 

Like ingredients in a recipe, all are essential for me to produce this blog.

 

Perhaps all of this  is obvious, but it needs to be said every once in awhile anyway.