Friday, September 11, 2009

Being A Sneeze Guard

 

 

# 3721

 

 

Ninety days after the declaration of the first pandemic in more than 40 years, you’d think that most people would be aware of their own coughing and sneezing habits . . . particularly among those who are dealing with the public. 

 

But the message apparently isn’t getting out the way it should.  At least, if an incident that happened to me this afternoon is any indication.

 

I’ve just returned from my local (major chain) grocery store. 

 

 

While paying for my goods, the cashier began counting out money.   She then COUGHED into her free hand - and barely skipping a beat -continued counting out my change . . .

 

. . .  I started to say something but was interrupted as this lady SNEEZED (loudly and wetly) into her free hand, wiped her hand on her pants leg, and then blithely resumed counting my change.

 

I said, “Excuse me . . . you just sneezed into your hand, and now you are counting out my change . . .”

 

The Cashier immediately said, “I DID NOT!”

 

Ma’am, I sorry . . . I just watched you cough and then sneeze into your hand. . .

 

She indignantly grabbed a plastic container of hand wipes, gave her hands at least a 5 second wipe down, glowered at me, then took fresh bills from the cash register (probably contaminated, as well) and handed them to me.  

 

No doubt, the soggy ones went back into the till.

 

I walked around the store for several minutes, fuming . . . and finally asked another cashier to page the manager.   He arrived a few minutes later, and I explained what had transpired (I did not identify the cashier . . .this, I felt was a failure of Management).  

 

I asked, “Have you had any employee training sessions on sneezing and coughing etiquette?  After all . . we are in a pandemic.

 


He was young, slightly bored, and tolerated my questions . . .but didn’t seem terribly interested.  I’m sure they get complaints from crazy old geezers like me all the time about one thing or another.

 

Yes, they’ve received `communications’ from headquarters on pandemic issues.   No, they hadn’t had an employee meeting. 

 

I asked if the `communication’ from corporate had said anything about asking employees with `flu like symptoms’ to stay home?   Or that employees should never cough or sneeze into their hands . . . but into their elbows (I demonstrated the technique).

 

He said, yes . . .it did.   

 

I suggested that he might want to hold a staff meeting on the subject, gave him my card, and  directed him to FLU.GOV for more information. 

 

My little `talk’ may not have had any effect, of course. 

 

But if we all take exception to this sort of behavior when we encounter it, and SPEAK UP ABOUT IT . . . we might begin to forge a change in our collective attitudes.

 

Ignoring this kind of blatant disregard for the health and safety of others only reinforces the idea that no-one really cares.  That it really doesn’t matter. 

 

I feel a little better for having said something.

 

At least once I’d sanitized my hands for the third time after I’d left the checkout lane.

 

But what I really wanted was a shower.