Sunday, March 14, 2010

A TED Talk Diversion

 

 

# 4430

 

I am an unabashed fan of TED Talks.

 

I was first turned onto the TED Talks when a friend sent me a link to the winner of 2006’s TED Prize, Dr. Larry Brilliant's presentation on his dream of a new global system that can identify and contain pandemics before they spread.

 

TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design.  Each year they hold a 4 day long event at Long Beach, California where 50 people are urged to give the 18-minute talk of their lives.

 

And what talks they are!

 

If you’ve never seen Dr. Brilliant’s inspiring talk, I urge you to watch it now.

 

image

(Click Image to view video)

 

Another TED Talk that I would urge you to view is one given last year by Dr. Nathan Wolfe, the famed virus hunter and founder of the Global Viral Forecasting Initiative (GVFI). I wrote about Dr. Wolfe last year (see Nathan Wolfe: Virus Hunter). 

 

image

(Click Image to view video)

 

 

Today, I bring you a `lighter’, but still interesting talk that shows the correlation between magic and the placebo effect.   I like this talk because it uses one of my favorite devices – humor – to drive home its point.

 

Although `fake’, this video may be disconcerting to those who are queasy around blood or needles.   Fair warning.  

 

If you are so inclined, spend 10 minutes taking a tour of the placebo effect with Eric Mead – magician and comedian.

 

image

Click Image to View Video

 

TED Talks are diverse and fascinating, and there are now hundreds of them.   You can subscribe to them on itunes, view them on Youtube, or go to the TED Talks website.

 

image

 


While they may not all turn out to be your cup of tea, I think you’ll find that – on the whole – they are well worth your time.

 

Odds are, you’ll become an addict just like me.