Saturday, October 23, 2010

They’ve Got It Covered

 



# 5003

 

 

I realized long ago that when it comes to finding and posting `breaking’ medical or disease news, I’m no match for flublogia’s stalwarts like Crof, Chen Qi, or Arkanoid Legent  or the talented and dedicated newshounds on FluTrackers or the Flu Wiki.

 

So, recognizing my limitations, I try to take a couple of items each day and attempt to add value or context instead.

 

While I may not always succeed, it does keep me out of bars and bowling alleys.

 

But I digress . . .

 

The past couple of days has seen an explosion of news reports out of Haiti, and I would be remiss if I didn’t strongly urge my readers to visit Crofsblog several times a day to stay informed.  

 

He is doing a phenomenal job in keeping up with the latest, and his extended commentary this morning Haiti: Cholera as symptomatic relief for attention-deficit disorder is highly recommended.

 

 

You’ll find two areas on my sidebar of particular interest when it comes to keeping up with the latest news.   First, for a list of the latest offerings from Flublogia’s bloggers, you’ll find:

 

 image

 

A little further down you’ll find another shorter list of blogs whose feeds don’t always work properly with my blogger real-time sidebar updates.

 

image


I would urge you to check out, and routinely visit, all of these sites.  

 

Note: Despite its name, `Flublogia’ covers more than just flu.  It embraces just about all of the emerging infectious diseases, along with public health and preparedness issues.

 

You’ll also find links to CIDRAP, and the various flu forums (I personally use FluTrackers and The Flu Wiki), along with dozens of other links of interest.  

 

As long as I’m making referrals this  morning, I would also point out that Maryn McKenna has an important piece on her Superbug blog  called  News break: A new type of MRSA spreads in Ohio

 

No one blog, or any one website, can cover the diverse and rapidly changing world of emerging infectious diseases effectively.  

 

But combined . . .  Flublogia manages to do darn good job.