Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Farewell To Chen Qi

 

 

 

# 5504

 

It is with no small degree of sadness that this morning I discovered the following notice posted on the Chen Qi website announcing that they are ending their newsgathering operation.

 

 

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chenqi is finished

After years of dedication to this website, I have decided to end it here and now. Too many equal blogs and too little readers make it easier despite the fact that I have done it with great enjoyment and I will miss it badly. Thank you very much for all the years of following and I will definitely start something new.

 

 

Maintaining a daily newspaper format web site like Chen Qi requires a lot of effort and  dedication. 

 

Chen Qi’s newspaper format was novel when they started, but the past year has seen the proliferation of a number of  science and public health Twitter Dailies, like Cesar Sanchez’s  Microbiology Daily, Liz Ditz’s  ScienceMob Daily, and All Hands’s  Emergency Management Daily.

 

 

The power of twitter lists combined with new publishing software has greatly automated what had once been a time consuming and involved task.

 

I’ve been fortunate enough to call Paul, the editor of Chen Qi, a friend for several years. 

 

I’ve highlighted his blog often, and we’ve corresponded many times over the past couple of years.   He has very kindly provided me with information and ideas for my blogs from time to time. 

 

I thank him for all of his help, his work on Chen Qi, and wish him well in his future endeavors.