Tuesday, April 22, 2014

MERS: Osterholm On NPR Shots & The Nightly CIDRAP Recap

image

 

# 8510

 

 

With news of the MERS virus coming at us from multiple countries, and often in piecemeal fashion, it is easy to be overwhelmed trying to divine the signal from the noise.  I know by the end of the day, I’ve become punchy, and I suspect that feeling is shared by my fellow flublogians.


Luckily we get a terrific recap of the day’s MERS developments via CIDRAP NEWS, which usually hits their site around 7pm EDT.


At the end of the day, I confess I often read it just to figure out just what the heck I’ve been blogging about over over the previous 24 hours. A highly recommended nightcap, whose latest example can be found at:

 

Saudi Arabia sacks health chief as MERS cases surge

Robert Roos | News Editor | CIDRAP News |

Apr 21, 2014

The Saudi MERS count surged by 37 cases and 6 deaths in 3 days, including 21 new cases in Jeddah's outbreak.

(continue . . . )

And speaking of CIDRAP, Director Michael Osterholm gives his thoughts to NPR’s SHOTS blog on the recent spike in MERS cases.

Sharp Rise In MERS Cases May Mean The Virus Is Evolving

by

April 21, 2014 7:38 PM ET

There's growing concern that the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome may have entered a new phase in the way it's spreading in Saudi Arabia.

(continue . . )