Two days ago the Nigerian Ministry of Health was all but proclaiming victory over the introduction of Ebola to his country (see media report Nigeria Has Contained Ebola, Minister of Health Says), but this morning is now facing fresh challenges as two new cases have been reported in the port city of Harcourt.
These two cases involve a doctor (now deceased) who treated a contact of the index case Patrick Sawyer, and his wife. The MOH indicates that another 70 people are under surveillance.
This report from VOA News.
August 28, 2014 5:43 AM
Nigeria's health ministry has reported two more cases of Ebola, bringing the country's total to 15.
Officials said Thursday that a man working for the Economic Community of West African States recovered from an Ebola infection without treatment, but that his doctor died last week from the virus.
Six people have now died from Ebola in Nigeria during the latest outbreak.
The World Health Organization (WHO) reported Thursday the virus has killed at least 1,550 people and infected more than 3,000. The majority of cases have been in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.
In a related story, Nigeria has announced the delay of the opening of schools across their nation until mid-October (see BBC report Ebola outbreak: Nigeria closes all schools until October).