UPDATED: 10:00 Hrs EDT
The AP is now reporting this patient is a young man who appears to have been the subject of epidemiological surveillance team who were doing contact tracing of Ebola cases in Guinea, but he evaded them and crossed the border into Senegal.
The patient sought medical care earlier this week in Dakar after falling ill, and told doctors he’d had contact with Ebola cases. His tests have come back positive for the virus and the WHO have been notified.
Senegal, which last week Closed its Border With Guinea Over Ebola Concerns, is reporting this morning an important case in a visitor from Guinea. Details at this time are scant, and I’ve found nothing posted on the Senegalese Ministry Of Health website.
This is confirmed Senegal recorded its first case of Ebola patient. This is a Guinean national who is on vacation on our soil. He is currently detained at the Department of Infectious Diseases Fann. The Minister of Health, Awa Marie Coll Seck will soon give the details of this unfortunate news.
The following report from Reuters is fairly representative of what is currently in the English press.
Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31pm GMT
DAKAR Aug 29 (Reuters) - The first case of Ebola has been confirmed in Senegal, a major hub for the business and aid community in West Africa, Health Minister Awa Marie Coll Seck told a news conference on Friday.
The minister said the case was a Guinean national who had arrived from the neighbouring West African country, where the deadly virus was first detected in March. (Reporting by Diadie Ba; Writing by Daniel Flynn; Editing by Emma Farge)
I’ll update this story as more information comes in.