Today Vietnam's Ministry of Health raised their epidemic alert on the Zika virus after reports of a 4-month old child with microcephaly from Dak Lak in the Central Highlands whose mother reported a rash-like illness during her pregnancy and has apparently tested positive for Zika antibodies.
At this point, Zika is only the suspected cause of this birth defect, and the investigation is still underway.
First, one of the media reports describing this incident, then the official statement from the MOH.
At this meeting, the experts were informed and the exchange of the first cases in Vietnam have small defects suspected head Zika virus. That's 4-month-old baby girl, the mother of 23-year-old ethnic Ede, living in Dak Lak. When pregnancy time 3 months and 6 months, maternal fever, rash. The initial investigation on the epidemiology, the test results as well as morphological examination of patients that experts are very likely to be the cause of this little head in pediatric patients due to Zika virus."We've done 5 times of testing, results show that mothers positive for Zika virus," said Dr. Tran Nhu Duong, Deputy Director of Central Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, said. However, experts also said, continues to add a test again and sent samples to Japan before making the assertion caused by Zika.
Unlike in the Americas, we've only seen very limited evidence linking the older Asian strain of the Zika virus to birth defects. Surveillance and reporting, however, is really just starting in many of these regions.
Raising the epidemic alert due to Zika virus 17/10/2016
Disease situation by Zika virus worldwide still have complicated, now has 73 countries and territories reported cases of Zika virus. Dated 11.10.2016, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned Zika viral disease is showing signs of spreading in Asia and is likely to continue to recognize the Zika virus infection cases due the wide distribution of vectors in the region, increase exchanges and travel to and from the countries affected and low population immunity. In Southeast Asian countries recorded 7/10 the Zika virus circulation. In Vietnam, on 17.10.2016 has recorded 07 cases of Zika virus in the provinces of Khanh Hoa, Phu Yen, Binh Duong and HCMC. Ho Chi Minh.
Dated 14.10.2016, system monitoring of infectious diseases of the Health Ministry has recorded 01 cases of 4-month-old children living in Krong Buk district, Dak Lak province with symptoms of suspected congenital malformations suffer minor head .
Immediately after receiving the notice, the Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology Highlands has conducted investigations and take blood samples sent National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology for testing Zika virus, now the Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology is cooperating with the laboratory of Nagasaki university in Japan conducted virological tests.
Before this situation, the morning of 17/10/2016, the Office of Emergency Response and disease prevention (EOC) held an emergency meeting under the chairmanship of Prof. Nguyen Thanh Long, Deputy Minister of Health, with the participation of entities and relevant international organizations: Department of Preventive Medicine; Management Bureau Medical Service; Maternal Health Services - Children; Communications Department - Emulation and Reward; Office of the Ministry of Health; Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology; Central maternity hospital; Central Children's Hospital; World Health Organization; Center for Disease Control and Prevention United States in Vietnam. EOC office to make comments and conclusions are as follows:
1. Diseases caused by Zika virus was circulating in Vietnam, is likely to continue tests to detect more cases in the coming period, especially in areas of endemic dengue mosquitoes and Zika .
2. Although little evidence has to be noted first in 1-10% of infants born to infected mothers Zika virus in the first 3 months of pregnancy may in Vietnam so there will be cases where defects birth certificate small head by Zika virus (now Thailand has recorded 02 cases involved small head with Zika virus). However small the first witness can vary due to many reasons such as virus infections cause (Rubella ...), bacterial (syphilis ...), parasites (Toxoplasma ...), poisoning, malnutrition, factors genetic. To determine the cause, leaders directing the Ministry of Health:
- Preventive Health Department in collaboration with the Department of Maternal Health - Children, Maternity central level, the Central Children's Hospital, the Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology, National Institute of Hygiene and Epidemiology Highlands established that union investigation, consideration and specific clinical examination. Sampling continues to cooperate with Nagasaki University laboratory tests confirmed Japan.
- After the results of the investigation, the Ministry of Health will be the official announcement.
3. However, in order to proactively prevent the spread of disease in the community, especially for pregnant women and infants, the Ministry of Health (Office of Emergency Response and disease prevention - EOC) has raised the scenes newspapers and response activities of the Office of the EOC and warning people to make good some of the following:
- At present, the Ministry of Health has not recommended travel restrictions, but pregnant women, women planning to become pregnant should not go to the service when not really necessary. In the case to go to the affected areas, should learn carefully the information about the disease and the health care conditions, simultaneous application of preventive measures to avoid mosquito bites Zika virus transmission as used use mosquito repelling cream, wear long clothing and sleep, including daytime screen.
- Pregnant women, especially in the first 3 months pregnant, who are living or have been to the epidemic that has fever or rash and at least one of the symptoms of muscle pain / arthritis, conjunctivitis eye health care facilities need to be examined, consultants.
- Proactive prevention of disease in a positive way, to participate mosquitoes, kill mosquito larva (larvae) in the household; inspect, remove waste material not to mosquito breeding and the implementation of disease prevention measures under the guidance of the Ministry of Health.
Detailed information, refer to the Website of the Department of Preventive Medicine: vncdc.gov.vn and MOH: moh.gov.vn. Telephone hotline: 0989,671,115.
Department of Preventive Medicine - MOH