Sunday, October 28, 2007

CIDRAP Series on Pandemic Vaccines

 

# 1199

 

 

After a 2-day trip which ended up taking 5 days (Murphy was an optimist), I'm back at my homebase and should resume my regular blogging in the morning.  The last 3 entries were made using someone else's kludgy laptop, and without my usual tools.  It's good to be home.

 

 

In my absence one of the best writers on emerging infectious diseases in general, and avian flu in particular; Maryn Mckenna, has begun a 7-part series on pandemic vaccine issues on the CIDRAP website.

 

Part I: Flu research: a legacy of neglect  was published on Oct. 25th.

 

Part II: Vaccine production capacity falls far short appeared on Oct. 26th.

 

Additional entries will appear over the coming days. 

 

Thus far, this series has been about as clear and concise as one can get when wrapping one's head around the complex issues of vaccine production and distribution.  

 

The picture it paints isn't as rosy as the one the WHO announced last week regarding the future ability to produce enough vaccine to inoculate the world during a pandemic.

 

These are `must-read' articles for anyone interested in pandemic vaccine production, and the problems that industry will face in providing a vaccine early in any pandemic.

 

Kudos to CIDRAP and Ms. Mckenna for a great series.   I know I'm looking forward to reading the rest of these articles.