Sunday, February 22, 2009

Doing The Hand Jive

 

 

# 2818

 

 

 

Whether a pandemic is raging, or not - probably the most important step you can take in your everyday life to avoid illness is to wash your hands  . . . often.

 

While that probably makes a lot of sense to just about everyone who reads it, surveys show that proper handwashing - even among health care workers - is often lax.

 

In 2007, the market research firm of HarrisInteractive conducted telephone interviews, and then discreetly staked out public restrooms at 6 venues in 4 American cities to observe how many people actually washed their hands before leaving the restroom.

 

 

image 

(click to enlarge)

 

 

While nine in ten (92%) adults surveyed claimed they always washed their hands after using public restrooms; just over three in four (77%) were observed doing so (down from 83% in 2005).

 

Men were less likely to wash their hands than women, with only 66% stopping to wash, as opposed to 88% of women.

 

Something to think about the next time someone offers to shake hands with you.

 

 

As a former paramedic, one who spent a lot of time at the ER sink with a bottle of Betadine scrub, I'm probably more hand hygiene conscious than a lot of people.  

 

But it's a good habit for everyone to develop.

 

Last week, as I was buying groceries, the cashier sneezed into her hands as she was making change for me.   Without skipping a beat, she reached into the cash drawer, pulled out a couple of one's and a five, and handed them towards me.

 

I had an awful moment when I had to decide just how badly I wanted my change.

 

I gritted my teeth, pocketed the bills, and then pulled out my squeeze bottle of alcohol gel and applied it to my hands.  I offered the cashier some, but she just looked annoyed and shook her head `no'.

 

I guess, by declining her germs, I'd insulted her.

 

The CDC has some excellent resources on handwashing, including this video called `Put Your Hands Together'.

 

 

image

(Click for CDC Video on Hand Hygiene)

 

More Information on this Topic

 

 

The CDC also has an interactive Hand Hygiene lesson, with a short video.  It takes less than 10 minutes.

 

 

image

(Click to take Interactive Lesson)

 

 

The CDC also provides downloadable/printable posters which you might  wish to post in the restrooms of your business.

 

 

image

(Click to go to resource page)

 

 

For more information, including a recent report on the comparative efficacy of hand washing vs. alcohol gel, see my blog Gonna Wash Those Germs Right Off Of My Hands.

 

While there appears to be some minor controversy over which is more effective  - soap and water vs. alcohol gel - both have been found to be highly effective interventions.

 

Even without a  pandemic, there are  plenty of pathogens in our environment that can make you, or others, sick.   

 

Handwashing is your best, first defense against them.