Thursday, September 27, 2012

NPM12: One For The Home, And One More For The Road

Note: This is day 27 of National Preparedness Month.  Follow this year’s campaign on Twitter by searching for the #NPM or #NPM12 hash tag.

 

This month, as part of NPM12, I’ll be rerunning some updated  preparedness essays (like this one) , along with some new ones.

 

kit2

Inside my primary first aid kit.  Notice the masks and goggles, along with two flashlights (one hands free). 

 

# 6589

As a former EMT/Paramedic, I confess to feeling a bit naked without a decent first aid kit within easy reach.  And this is why I maintain two, well equipped, medical kits; one for my home, and one for the trunk of my car.

 

I’ll admit that owning two ambu-bags borders on the excessive, but I certainly feel better knowing they are there.

 

Well equipped first aid kits are a necessity in every home, and should also be found in the trunk of every car. While you can purchase a ready-made kit (the quality of which varies depending on price), I’ve always preferred to create my own.

 

I undoubtedly have a more elaborate kit than most, but perhaps a look inside my auto first aid bag will inspire some of my readers to make one of their own.

 

The `bag’ is an old style Laptop computer case, with a handle and a shoulder strap.  I like these, because they have numerous compartments, are soft, and are reasonably waterproof.

 

auto kit 009

 

On the `trauma’ side of the bag, I’ve got `Kling’ roll bandages, an ACE bandage, a couple of cravat `Triangle’ bandage (sling & swath), sterile 4x4 gauze pads, paper tape, Band-Aids, antibiotic cream and several absorbent feminine pads (they make excellent trauma dressings). 

 

auto kit 003

 

On the opposite side, I’ve got an `ambu’ bag-mask resuscitator along with a selection of adult and child airways, a foam C-Collar, a B/P cuff, stethoscope, flashlight, and some ammonia caps – hidden away where you can’t see them are bandage shears, tweezers, and a magnifying glass, along with a spare pair of reading glasses.

 

auto kit 002

 

There is also a penlight, a felt tipped pen, and a note pad.

 

Under the front `cover’ flap, I keep some basic OTC medicines, including aspirin, acetaminophen, some hand antiseptic, and a bulb syringe (can be used for minor suctioning).

 

auto kit 004

 

Under the flap on the other side, I’ve got surgical & N95 masks, exam gloves, and a `space’ blanket.

 

auto kit 005

 

Of course, having a kit isn’t enough.  You need to know how to use it.

 

And for that, you need first aid training.  If you haven’t already taken a course, contact your local Red Cross chapter, and find out what is available in your area.   And don’t forget the CPR training (or recertification!) as well.

 

Whether you buy a ready-made kit, or make your own, now is a good time to make sure you are fully equipped to deal with a medical emergency.

 

For more information I would invite you to visit:

 

FEMA http://www.fema.gov/index.shtm

READY.GOV http://www.ready.gov/

AMERICAN RED CROSS http://www.redcross.org/