Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Gift Of Preparedness: 2013

 

 

# 7995

 

A tradition I began in this blog in November of 2007 (see Hickory Farms Will Hate Me For This) is to abandon the idea of buying friends and family ugly neckties, holiday themed sweaters, or boxes of assorted meats and cheeses  and instead, give preparedness items during the upcoming holiday season.

 

This is something I’ve personally been doing for many years, so each year I try to highlight some of the gifts I’ve recently purchased for myself and others.  Products mentioned here are to provide a general idea of the type of gift, and should not be viewed as an endorsement of one brand over another.

 

Now when I impulse buy gadgets, at least I can call it research.

 

Anyone who knows me knows that I have a particular interest in (ok, its more of a compulsion to buy)  LED flashlights and lanterns.  In 2006 I lucked upon a closeout bin of cheap imported `shake flashlights’ for .77 cents each, and bought out the store (40 of them, 38 of which I gave as gifts).

image

 

A couple of years later I ran across a deal on LED headlamps, and bought about 20 of them for $2 apiece.  The following year, I found LED Cap lights (they clip to the bill of a baseball style cap) for $3 each, which I confess I like even better. And it seems each year the LED lanterns get lighter, and brighter.

 

And the best part, none of the items pictured below cost me more than $5 each.

 

image

 

Every home should have a battery operated radio, yet many do not. A few years ago I bought my daughter a combination windup-battery-solar AM/FM/SW radio for under $40, and she uses it every day.

image

Two years ago, I found a combination AM/FM Weather ALERT radio at a discount store for under $20. Again, every home and business should have an emergency alert radio.

NOAA Radio

This year I’ve upgraded my FRS radios from my old Motorola Walkabout T5000s to a pair of Motorola MJ270R 22-Channel Two-Way Radios.  They’ve just arrived, so I haven’t had time to check them out, but they not only have a built in NOAA Weather Radio, they have an LED Flashlight as well (nirvana!).

 

image


My old T5000s still work, so they will be handed out to neighbors in the event of a local crisis, to help with neighborhood communications.


Last year I bought several water filtration systems, one to keep and a couple to give to prepping buddies.  LifeStraw ® is now available in the United States and Canada; at just 2 ounces, this personal water filter will reportedly filter 1000 liters down to .2 microns. Not bad for around $20.

image

 

Last year I picked up a few single burner Propane stove units on sale for $10 each. Add a 1 pound propane cylinder (about $3) and you can cook for a week. 

image

I’ve also picked up a few magnesium fire starters at $4 each, which will end up as stocking stuffers.

image

For Christmas a several years back I put together some first aid kits, and distributed them to a number of friends and relatives. You can either put one together yourself, or purchase one already assembled.  There is no substitute for having a well stocked first aid kit when you need one.

image

 

As I’ve described in  Preparedness: Solar Power On A Budget, it is a relatively easy task to set up a simple solar charging system. No, you won’t keep the A/C or refrigerator running on a budget system, but you can keep your LED lantern batteries, cell phone, iPod or iPad, or notebook computer running.

 

I’m seeing reasonably priced `briefcase’ solar panels – often for between $50 and $80 – that, when unfolded, can charge a 12 volt storage battery with up to 13 watts of power.  Add a $20 inverter (converts 12 volt battery power to 120v AC), and you can do a heck of a lot.

 

If I didn’t already have a couple of more powerful panels left over from my sailboat, I’d seriously consider one of these.

image

Typical 13 watt Solar System

 

Speaking of inverters, I have a 400 watt unit for my solar setup, but I’ve also just purchased an 80 watt cigarette lighter inverter for my car.  It can power a small laptop, and has a USB charger port as well.  Under $20. A few of these will end up in the stockings of friends this year. .

image

And for under $10, you can pick up a cigarette lighter USB charger, that can top off your phone or mobile device.

 

Something as simple, and as utilitarian, as a multifunction `Swiss’ army knife or a `Multi-tool’ makes a great preparedness gift.

swiss knife

image

Another inexpensive gift idea: For under $10 you can buy a box of exam gloves, and a box of facemasks.

image

Several years ago Joel over at Preparedness and Response came up with what I consider to be an excellent preparedness idea, giving USB flash drives to family and friends and instructions on how to back up their important papers and documents.

image

Inexpensive USB Drives start under $10.

 

He explains it in  his essay Helping others prepare (Personal Preparedness), where he gives his rationale for going with the durable mil-spec and encrypted, but fairly pricey IronKey brand.

 

My thanks to Joel for a terrific idea.

 

These are all useful, indeed, potentially lifesaving items, that most people simply don't think about needing until it is too late.Giving them as gifts, instead of more traditional items,  not only helps prepare the people you love and care about for an emergency, it opens the door for conversations about pandemic and disaster preparedness.

 

We need to cultivate a culture of preparedness in this country, and around the world.

 

We can start doing that, one gift at a time.

And one last reminder for the upcoming Holiday Season.

This year, when we think about ways to give back to our community, remember that more people will be relying on community food banks than in years past.

In addition to anything else you might do, this is a good time to go through your pantry and donate foodstuffs that are approaching (but not exceeding) their `use by' date.