Although we still don’t know the cause of the Konkuk University pneumonia outbreak, the Korean CDC has released an impressively detailed epidemiology report on the event today. Over the past couple of weeks, 41 students and/or faculty members have been diagnosed with what has been described as a `mild pneumonia’ and placed in isolation.
All appear to have had direct exposure to the Konkuk University Animal Life Sciences building, and thus far none of their close contacts have come down with the illness. Numerous tests have been run, but so far no viral, bacterial, or fungal cause has been determined.
The lack of transmission to contacts is a hopeful sign, and may indicate an `environmental’ exposure directly connected to the building. Some press reports suggest lung biopsies are being tested for signs of mold or fungal infection. So far, we’ve not seen any results.
The Korean CDC is cautiously hopeful that further spread will be limited.
It is still early days, but the good news is the Korean CDC isn’t repeating the mistakes of the opening weeks of their MERS outbreak, and is updating us regularly on their progress.
Infectious Management Division, Epidemiology Research Division
□ Centers for Disease Control (General Manager Yang byeongguk) is 10.31 il 0 Current total during 44 investigating who the case, is among 41 patients suspected on the chest radiation pneumonitis findings have been confirmed patient - a 7 gae is distributed to institutions that receive quarantine treatment He said .
- Suspected: 10.8 days after Konkuk University Animal Life Sciences building character who visited 37.5 & lt; 0 & gt; C on the chest radiograph with fever cases with suspected pneumonia findings
* Three of the patients seen at home (in the current state of mild symptoms, the symptoms change during chest radiography expected)
○ suspected patients being hospitalized are fever, muscle aches, etc. These mainly mild symptoms may appear, respiratory symptoms are not severe cases, such as showing a relatively rare pneumonia findings.
□ Epidemiology apparently 41 All patients who are suspected Konkuk University Animal life in permanent workers within the University building, one myeong * except for 40 people all 4-7 layers and the lab worker, * one of them General Laboratory Professor
○ 41 living with people suspected patient 70 from people looking for fever or respiratory symptoms are cases not so far,
- Points not determine if additional cases of close contacts of the disease disseminative or low disease is not transmitted from person this disease one may be suggesting the possibility, not yet completely rule out the possibility of propagation does.
□ clinical symptoms and the progression is relatively lightly, chest X Awards are nonspecific findings and pneumonia appears as a common,
○ some lung CT findings for the phase appeared abnormal lung tissue were collected undergoing inspection.
□ apparently laboratory tests 10.30 conducted by germs and viruses pathogenic to be 16 human samples test results for the species, specific findings were not found.
- Total 4 confirmed Rhino virus in people, but that is popular in the domestic cold is a viral respiratory illness and Konkuk University this one kinds relevance Low
□ In addition , targeting the building entrant 30 caused the symptoms started from one monitor jittering the result was not confirmed until now it has specific cases .
□ Centers for Disease Control are investigating and taking the necessary steps as possible for the attribution and management of respiratory disease caused this,
○ relevant ministries and academics to them ‧ collaboration with medical experts and actively, the progress from time to time planning to inform the public and the media.