Wednesday, February 22, 2017

South Korea: MAFRA Reports H5N8 In Duck Farm




















#12,249



South Korea, which has been battling HPAI H5N6 since it arrived last November, has also reported a small number of H5N8 detections (primarily in wild birds) this winter as well.  Over the past 90 days, South Korea has lost more than 33 million birds to the H5N6 virus, or to culling - twice what they lost during 2014's H5N8 epizootic.
While avian flu reports have slowed coming out of Korea over recent weeks, today MAFRA reports the detection of H5N8 at a duck farm in Haenam County, in South Jeolla Province.  At the same time they are investigating a suspected AI outbreak among hens at a farm in Chungnam, Cheongyang.

Although H5N6 has appeared to run roughshod over H5N8 in both Japan and South Korea since it arrived last fall, evidence suggests that H5N8 continues to circulate in the region.  According to MAFRA, 10 of 59 wild bird AI detections (17%) this winter have been H5N8, while the remainder (83%)  have been H5N6.

This from MAFRA:



Haenam, Jeonnam broiler duck farm type H5N8 confirmed, AI report suspected in Chungnam Cheongyang laying hen farm Added    

2017-02-22 18:00:00
     
The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Livestock and Livestock Food and Agriculture announced on February 21 (Tue.) that the Koryong Duck Farm in Haenam County, Jeonnam Province, which was confirmed as AI-positive, was identified as H5N8 type AI.

It will be confirmed on February 23 whether the farm is highly pathogenic to AI. To date, 59 cases of highly pathogenic AI (AI) have been detected in wild birds, of which 10 were H5N8 and the rest were H5N6.


In the poultry farm, the H5N8 strain of AI is the second after the Jeonbuk Gimje Farm which reported on February 6. The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Livestock has completed the disposal of all the poultry (No. 1, about 16,000 poultry) of the farms (No. 1, about 23,000) and the farms within a radius of 500m,


It has set up a dairy farm centering on the farms that have been raised, and is carrying out urgent measures such as washing, disinfection and mobility control. The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Livestock, and Livestock Foods, as the former H5N8 type AI was spread around ducks,
In order to prevent AI from spreading in Jeonnam and Buk area, which is a duck-collecting area, the migration of wild migratory birds and the poultry farm near the migration route

Said it would do its best to block AI additions by strengthening interception prevention through the control of passengers, repairing netting, and daily observation and inspection. 


On the other hand, the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Livestock and Livestock Food and Drug Administration has received AI suspicious reports from the farms (about 80,000) in Cheongyang, Chungnam,

The type of AI and whether it is highly pathogenic can be confirmed from February 24 to 25 as soon as possible.

No comments: