Given the terse reports we generally get from Saudi Arabia's MOH on MERS, it is encouraging that we are getting remarkably timely, and detailed updates from their Ministry of Environment, Water, and Agriculture (MEWA) regarding their recent outbreak - reported yesterday - of HPAI H5N8 in Riyadh.
According to the following (translated) report - in addition to culling nearly 60,000 birds and disinfecting the marketplace - the Saudis have ordered daily testing at all live markets in the Kingdom.
Daily briefing to follow up on cases of avian influenza H5N8
Ministry of Environment and Water and Agriculture confirmed on measures to control the completion of the bird flu cases of H5N8 type in Azizia market in the city of Riyadh, the ministry indicated that it has completed the disposal and disinfection for the approximately (95 procedures%) of Azizia market, including approximately 60 thousand birds, noting that all disposal and disinfection procedures will be on the market by the end of this day, in cooperation with the Ministry of municipal and rural Affairs, represented by the Secretariat of the city of Riyadh.
The ministry has assured everyone that this type of bird flu has been no case of transmission to humans, according to the World Health Organization WHO. Also it revealed that it is working on two parallel lines, the first control and control of the infected cases mixing, second and precautionary and preventive measures and surveys to prevent the spread of the disease and its transmission to other regions.
With regard to control and control procedures, it has been the following:
- Health disposal of birds and poultry in Azizia market in Riyadh, and the closure of the market, while maintaining the rest of other animals such as fish, cats, dogs, and let owners feeding them, taking samples for testing, and conducting a comprehensive disinfection and sterilization operations.
- exposed feed damage, and wooden cages, and all the birds take care kits
- Start an epidemiological survey and sampling within a radius of 10 km from the affected area, including all places of breeding birds.
- Prohibition out of all live birds from the city of Riyadh
With regard to the precautionary measures have been the following:
- Communicate with the animal health organization OIE.
The ministry also make sure that they operate veterinary squads in all regions of the Kingdom, which has a number of doctors in which 680 veterinarians, and (485) assistant veterinarian, and (177) Veterinary Clinic, and (65) other mobile so as to control and investigation of veterinary and extension, and let everyone to report any suspected cases by calling the central number of emergency room (8.00247 billion)
- suspend issuance of the import of live birds permissions nisi, until the completion of the fact the source of infection.
- Stop festivals and gatherings for the circulation of birds in all regions of the Kingdom.
- Detection of all bird markets in the Kingdom, and raise the daily report on the health status, taking samples and tested at the Central Laboratory of the Ministry.
- obliging poultry projects to raise real-time reports, cases of mortality and general health status of the birds, and the emphasis on the intensification of preventive security measures.