Thursday, September 09, 2010

The News Gathering Blogs

 

 

 

# 4885

 

 

As most of you are no doubt aware, I don’t try to cover every emerging disease story that crosses the wires.

 

Most days, I try to concentrate on the 2 or 3 stories that I find of greatest interest, do a little background research, and present them here with what I hope is useful context.

 

Which means that there are a lot of important stories that simply don’t end up on these pages.  Luckily, I’m not the only blogger covering the EID (Emerging Infectious Disease) beat.

 

I’ve often mentioned the hard work being done by the newshounds on the flu forums (I regularly visit FluTrackers and the Flu Wiki), and I honestly couldn’t do half of what I do without their considerable efforts.

 

They spend countless hours searching hundreds of newsfeeds every day, looking for any hint of an unusual outbreak of a disease in humans or animals.  And they do this not only in English, but in dozens of other languages as well.

 

For more details on how they go about this formidable task, I would direct you to Newshounds: They Cover The Pandemic Front.

 

But I rely also on the work being done by the news gathering bloggers, who do an amazing job every day sifting through news feeds looking for health and disease related stories.

 

 

There are a number of good disease-related news blogs, and you’ll find links to many of them in my sidebar, but I wanted to pay special homage this morning to the three I rely on most.

 

 

Crof of Crofsblog  (who is on a well deserved vacation this week) is the dean of flu bloggers, having been showing the rest of us how it ought to be done for more than 5 years now.  

 

By now, everybody should know Crof’s site. But if you aren’t a daily visitor to his site, you should be. 

 


A relative newcomer to the scene is Arkanoid Legent  out of Malaysia, who consistently provides one of the best daily roundups of infectious disease news on the net. 

 

Arkanoid has a genuine `nose for news’, and has become one of my favorite`go to’ sources for material each day.

 

Paul Klancnik in the Netherlands edits Chen Qi, which provides a tremendous amount of disease news in an easy to read newspaper format. 

 

You’ll find Chen Qi’s focus encompasses the aftermath of natural disasters, as well as disease outbreaks.

 

If you want a good sense of what is going on around the world each day regarding infectious diseases, these three sites will go a long ways towards achieving that goal.

 

I hit each of them several times each day, and am extremely thankful for their efforts.   

 

Highly recommended.