Saturday, December 18, 2010

Keeping One Eye On Egypt

 



# 5159

 

 

Today, while I’ve been attending to other concerns, Treyfish & Commonground at Pandemic Information News have posted several machine translations of Arabic news reports about suspected bird flu cases in Egypt, including a possible fatality. 

 

You can read the raw translations here and here.

 

Since nuances and details can often be lost in the translation process, and since I am admittedly machine translation challenged (I can read them if I absolutely have to, but they tend to make my brain bleed), I’m inclined to wait until we can get some corroboration (preferably in English) to these reports before commenting further.

 

Most of the major Arabic news services and government agencies are shut down until the start of their work week (Sunday), and so we ought to get some clarification on these reports sometime tomorrow.

 

In the meantime, you can find the latest machine translations and analysis by the newshounds at Pandemic Information News and at FluTrackers in their H5N1-TRACKING EGYPT forum.