Sunday, August 17, 2014

Mackay On Ebola, Pigs, Primates and People

 

image
Credit CDC PHIL

 

 

# 8964

 

Yesterday Dr. Ian Mackay et al. produced a terrific overview called Ebola virus may be spread by droplets, but not by an airborne route: what that means which I blogged about here.  

 

Today Ian is back with another in-depth look at Ebola transmission, this time taking on the much-discussed laboratory experiments that some online pundits have claimed `proves’ airborne transmission.

 

Ian quite adeptly goes over what we know – and more importantly, what we don’t know – about Ebola transmission.  Both in the lab, and in the wild.  And along the way provides a lesson in critical thinking.

 

At this point, I’m going to do the smart thing and step out of the way and invite you to read:

 

Ebola, pigs, primates and people

This is a companion piece to my collaborative article, Ebola virus may be spread by droplets, but not by an airborne route: what that means, posted a couple of days ago. I suggest you read the both together.


In this post, I'd like to make sure we all understand that an airborne route of Ebola virus infection has been used to deliberately infect non-human primates (NHPs). It is possible and it can be done. Okay? I'm not covering up any secret knowledge or trying to conceal facts that only we few evil-society-of-science types know. I don't secretly work for an agency aiming to delude you dear readers into feeling falsely safe about the risks associated with being near an Ebola virus infected person (which most reading this will likely never be). Frankly, I'm learning this as I go.

(Continue . . . )