Mongolia (not to be confused with already affected Inner Mongolia, a province of China) has reportedly detected African Swine Fever - at least based upon local media reporting and an emergency meeting held yesterday by a Special Committee of their Ministry of Agriculture.
The machine translation of Mongolian, unfortunately, doesn't always produce the clearest syntax, and the use of local idioms - which may have multiple meanings - complicates matters further.While we will probably need to wait for the OIE notification to get solid details, - based on overnight reports online - it appears that the ASF virus has been detected in multiple locations, and apparently both in live pigs and in (possibly imported) food products.
First, this report from the UB Post.
In the four provinces of Bulgan, Tuv and Dundgovi, throughout Mongolia, rapidly spreading pork and diseases, the Emergency Commission of Bayankhongor aimag has urgently called for the prevention of this disease.
In the presence of the disease, the pig is initially manifested by symptoms such as blue spots, high fever, and swine transmitted from swine to pig. In this way, it is possible to intercept the disease and become a carrier. In Bayankhongor aimag there are 4 units of pig farming.
The emergency committees are not allowed to introduce pigs and pork products to the provincial level, shop and service centers prohibit the sale of semi- and pork meat products, not to use pork and meat products for any food industry, and to control the operation of pork traders organizations should be monitored and monitored regularly, not to use pork meat products, Regional governor with a pig head to the Commission was an exceptional decision to conduct detailed surveillance of wild pigs in the land.
The decision was made by Bayankhongor aimag to be appointed by the Deputy Governor of Aimag B.Batsuuri to the relevant authorities or members of the Special Commission.
The term `myalzan' in Mongolia used to refer to Rinderpest (declared eradicated in 2011), but is now apparently being used for African Swine Fever, as in this September media report in Mongolia Today on China's ASF outbreak (see Pork myalzan increasing prevalence of the disease!)
Another media report from Eagle news.
There was a swelling of pigs in UlaanbaatarAnd finally, this (translated) report from Mongolia's Ministry of Agriculture,
Eaglenews 2019-01-15 11:26:00
There was a swelling of pigs in Ulaanbaatar
In Ulaanbaatar, pork disease has been detected.
"In the capital city there are samples of pork supply at 74 points, a total of 100 samples taken over a three day period, and 50% of them have been detected, and some of the enterprises have been detected," said L.Erdenechuluun, Head of the Specialized Inspection Agency of the Capital City. He said,
"At the national level, 31 thousand pigs are counted, of which 17,000 are in the capital and currently have 17 thousand pigs of 130 enterprises in detention centers, decontamination, and imports should be stopped for a certain period of time.
In addition, the catering and trade organizations need to limit consumption.
Initially, importers sent a declaration to stop distribution and sealed warehouses. 300 tons of reserves in warehouse in Ulaanbaatar and over 1,000 tons of reserves.
The Veterinary Department will be removed from the Veterinary Department because of the positive results of the sample. Our organization will monitor this. According to the General Department of Veterinary Services, it is risky for human beings to be infected with this disease as a carrier. "
In China last November, pig disease has begun. In China, there are quarantine restrictions in the prevalence of epidemic swine flu in Africa.
which names ASF directly.
The State Special Committee convened a duty to ban import of pork and fat temporarily
Source: Ministry of Food and Agriculture
Munkhtuya | 8 hours ago
(2019.01.15) Deputy Prime Minister of Mongolia and State Special Emergency Commission ¹ of Ulaanbaatar, Bulgan, Dundgovi, Tuv, Orkhon Aimag, Ulaanbaatar, Trade, Food Service, Service, Live Pork, Pork and Meat Products .Enkhtuvsh summoned the State Special Emergency Committees.
The meeting discussed the effects of pork disease, measures, and outbreaks of influenza and influenza-like illnesses, as well as ongoing and ongoing measures to be taken.
D.Tumendemberel, head of the General Department of Veterinary Services, said: "Sample of the dead pigs from the state veterinary clinic sanatorium laboratories has proved to be a disease of Pig African. The joint working group of the relevant agencies is working with the Pig African Crisis. There are 10 entities importing pork and meat products in Mongolia. Analyze the warehouse of four organizations. "
Following the report, the Deputy Prime Minister of Mongolia and the President of the State Emergency Commission O.Enkhtuvshin gave directions to the relevant authorities.
Ch.Ulaan Minister of Food and Agriculture and Light Industry:
- Prohibit the import of pork and fat imported from China, Russia, Germany and Poland temporarily by the state border;
- Introduce active surveillance and detection of pig fungus at the national level within 30 days and plan for further action;
- Provide reserves of disinfectants such as "iodine and lemon" with selective services for the disease and organize disinfection of pigs and fodder stores, shelters and fences;
- Provide proper management of burrows of pork Africa with appropriate regulations and guidelines, and organize burying in integrated zones.
D.Tumendemberel, head of the General Department of Veterinary Services:
- The Government of Mongolia's Resolution 266 of 2018 shall organize and supervise all the necessary measures in accordance with the approved procedure during the quarantine and restriction regime;
- Provide information on prevention and prevention of pig disease in the public, and collaborate with the media in collaboration with the State Professional Inspection Agency (GASI) in order to deliver information from one point to another.
- Conduct a risk assessment of animal infectious diseases and identify ways to plan and implement responses to the outcomes.
Governor of aimags and the Capital City and the Special Appellate Committees:
- Disbursement of disinfection and disinfection required for preventive diseases of the pig and infectious diseases of the pig, financed by the capital of aimags and capital city approved by 2019;
- Provide aimag and city Veterinary organizations in the area of disinfecting and disinfection;
- Take necessary measures to temporarily ban migration of humans, animals, animals and vehicles from the epidemic of infectious diseases in Africa,
- Conduct sterilization and disinfection in accordance with relevant instructions and procedures for business entities, organizations, citizens and service establishments;
Head of the Customs General Administration B. Appendix, Chief of the General Agency for Specialized Inspection N. Tsagaankhuu:
- Provide a notice of intensification of inspections on domestic freight and freight on border, customs and border ports;
- Introducing travelers to the border with the purpose of introducing the pork and meat products for their food and luggage.
While hardly a surprise (see last August's FAO: African swine fever (ASF) threatens to spread from China to other Asian countries), these latest developments are nevertheless a sobering reminder of the ongoing threat from ASF, and how quickly it can spread across the region.