Tuesday, September 01, 2020

#NPM20: The Road To Preparedness



Note: This is day 1 of National Preparedness Month.   Follow this year’s campaign on Twitter by searching for the #NatlPrep #BeReady or #PrepMonth hashtags.

This month, as part of NPM20, I’ll be rerunning some updated  preparedness essays, along with some new ones.

#15,446


Although I've been a `prepper' in one form or another for over 40 years - and thought I was well prepared for Hurricane Irma in 2017 - following my 5-day evacuation/bug-out experience  (see A Post Irma Update) I decided to make some improvement in my preps and plans for the `next time'.

While I already had the basics; food, water, battery operated lanterns, NWS radio, a bug out plan and (most importantly) a Disaster buddy,  etc. - I found some minor areas I decided I could improve upon.

The reality is, prepping isn't a `one and done' solution.   There isn't a magic list of 10 things that - once you have done them - will make you fully and forever prepared.

Each thing you do, however, gets you closer to that goal. 

Stored food and water needs to be rotated and replaced, evacuation and bug out plans need to be reviewed regularly, and as we get older, other considerations may appear as well. 

Forty years ago, I didn't have to worry about having prescription medications, or an extra pair of glasses, in my bug-out kit.  I could have `roughed' it far easier in my twenties than in my sixties.  

Threats and technologies change over time.  Twenty years ago, I'd have included a kerosene lantern in my hurricane preps - safer than candles - but oppressively hot in the summer and smokey and stinky.  

Today, cool running and energy efficient LED lights have all but replaced combustion light sources.  We can recharge AA and AAA batteries today with a cheap solar panel, negating the need to have (and throw away) large numbers of disposable batteries. 

Today, most of my power needs can be met by a small USB Solar panel (21 watt), and several USB battery banks, which I detailed last May in My New Solar Power System (Updated For 2020)as depicted in the photo below.

All of this fits nicely into a single small duffel bag, weighing a little over 15 pounds.  If I have to evacuate in a hurry - its ready to go - along with my regular bug-out bag, and a decent first aid kit.

I'm constantly reviewing my preparedness plans, looking for ways to improve my ability to withstand a prolonged emergency or disaster, to better my quality of life under difficult situations, and to hopefully help out friends and neighbors in the process.

Today marks the first day of National Preparedness Month 2020, and over the next 30 days I'll be posting new content (like today), along with some older (and updated) preparedness blogs from the past. 

During this first week of NPM Ready.gov and FEMA are both encouraging all Americans to prepare for the unexpected, and are emphasizing planning as the first step. 


Make A Plan

Make a plan today. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes, so it is important to know which types of disasters could affect your area. Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.

Step 1: Put a plan together by discussing the questions below with your family, friends or household to start your emergency plan.

Step 2: Consider specific needs in your household.As you prepare your plan tailor your plans and supplies to your specific daily living needs and responsibilities. Discuss your needs and responsibilities and how people in the network can assist each other with communication, care of children, business, pets or specific needs like operating medical equipment. Create your own personal network for specific areas where you need assistance. Keep in mind some these factors when developing your plan:
  • Different ages of members within your household
  • Responsibilities for assisting others
  • Locations frequented
  • Dietary needs
  • Medical needs including prescriptions and equipment
  • Disabilities or access and functional needs including devices and equipment
  • Languages spoken
  • Cultural and religious considerations
  • Pets or service animals
  • Households with school-aged children
Step 3: Fill out a Family Emergency PlanDownload and fill out a family emergency plan or use it as a guide to create your own.

Emergency Plan for Parents (PDF)