Thursday, March 09, 2023

A COVID-Related Medicare Scam Warning

#17,337

Normally I'd have spent my morning blogging on infectious diseases, but today things took an unexpected turn when I found an unsolicited package in my mailbox.  A poly-bag with 8 home COVID test kits, addressed to me, from a pharmacy I've never heard of. 

There was no documentation.  Only a return address and a phone number for `Returns'.  A number that only lets you leave a message (I so did several hours ago, but have received no response). 

A bit mystified, I examined the contents and found the tests had an expiration date of 5/20/23No problem, I thought.  Most tests have received an extension.  I went to the FDA website and looked up that brand, and discover that - no - this particular test had not received an extension.

My next stop was to check my Medicare claims online.  And to my surprise, I found that Medicare had paid - almost 2 months ago - nearly $100 for these test kits (which I did not order)

The rest of my morning was consumed by a series of phone conversations with the Federal Trade Commission, the HHS OIG's office, and Medicare, where my concerns were expressed and the appropriate reports were filed.  I was assured that they were aware of this sort fraudulent activity, and was thanked profusely for reporting it. 

I've no idea how this pharmacy got my Medicare billing information.  I've never given it out to anyone except at medical offices, labs, and my pharmacy. But any database can be hacked, and it is possible that an employee at one of those places sold them. 

While I'm out nothing more than a few hours of my time, this type of fraud costs the government - and by that, I mean the taxpayers - billions of dollars each year.  And sending out soon-to-expire test kits could conceivable endanger the recipient as well. 

The only way to put an end to fraud it is to report it when you see it.  So, if you receive an unsolicited medication, medical device, or test kit, check your Medicare and/or Insurance claims, and report any suspicious activity. 

When you receive your Medicare or Insurance statements, go over them carefully to make sure that all of the charges are (or at least appear) to be legitimate. 

To report suspected fraud to the FTC go to https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/

To file a complaint with the HHS OIG's office https://oig.hhs.gov/fraud/

And to report to Medicare