Although the big story with South Korea's H5N6 epizootic has been the number of farms affected, and the millions of birds already culled, behind the scenes thousands of people are potentially being exposed to the virus as they try to contain these outbreaks.
Personal protection has been ordered for all workers who may be at risk - along with prophylactic antivirals - but no infection control program is 100% bullet proof.
No one in Korea has contracted the virus, but in China at least 16 cases have been reported, and of those, at least 10 have died.
With the H5N6 situation getting worse in Korea (see yesterday's report MAFRA Raises Korean Avian Flu Alert To Highest Level), Korea's CDC has issued the following statement on countermeasures they are taking against the virus.
Strengthen countermeasures against human infection according to AI crisis stage upgrade (border → serious)
◈ Emphasize compliance with human health prevention regulations due to severe AI crisis
① The general public to refrain visit the livestock farms, migratory birds,◈ Enhancement of AI Central Epidemiological Surveillance Team for Disease Control Headquarters and strengthening response to emergency room
② High-risk AI farm households should wear personal protective clothing, antiviral drugs and vaccination thoroughly
□ The Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Livestock Food and Beverage said it will step up efforts to prevent AI infection in central and local governments as the crisis level of AI (bird flu) is raised to "serious".
First, the Center for Disease Control (AI) has expanded the AI Central Epidemiological Surveillance Team *, expanded emergency personnel, and announced that it is dispatching personnel to the government-sponsored support groups to strengthen the organic cooperation system with the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Livestock.
* 2 (former) 2 center epidemiological investigators 28 → disease management headquarters 45
○ In order to strengthen the response of the local government, the city and provincial health section manager meeting was held under the head of the Emergency Situation Center of the Disease Control Headquarters to emphasize prevention of thorough human infection by local governments.
* '16 .12.15 (Thu) 17: 00 ~, Disease Control Headquarters - held as a video conference between city and town
□ The Center for Disease Control and Prevention has been operating the 'Central H5N6 AI Human Infectious Disease Control Unit' since November 11 (Fri), and from November 17 (Thursday) to December 15 (Thursday) A total of 34 investigators were dispatched 34 times (including a total of 67 people including duplicates), so that they were guided and inspected to prevent human infection at the site.
○ A total of 6,779 persons * (cumulative), including farmers and disposal workers, were classified as high risk by December 15 (Thu), and the public health centers were provided with antiviral prophylactic medication, 5, On the 10th day, active surveillance monitors the occurrence of symptoms such as fever.
* 935 farm workers, 4,711 respondents, 716 respondents, 417 field workers
Of the total 6,779 high-risk groups, 2,267 were monitored for 10 days and the remaining 4512 were monitored. During the monitoring process, the total number of reported cases including cold symptoms was 18, but all of the influenza tests were negative.
○ In addition, a local field inspection team will be operated for the local governments where the AI is continuously generating, and the field measures will be checked periodically.
* 12.13 Sejong City, 12.14 Mid-site inspection of Chungbuk Province
□ The Disease Control Headquarters emphasized the importance of active cooperation of the people above all for the prevention of AI human infection.
○ The general public should refrain from visiting livestock farms or migratory birds, thoroughly take personal hygiene such as washing hands for 30 seconds or more,
High-risk groups, such as AI-farmers and volunteer workers, pay close attention to personal protective equipment and personal hygiene, thoroughly administer seasonal influenza vaccination and antiviral medication for a defined period *, and receive fever and cough , Sore throat, etc., should be immediately reported to the public health center or the 1339 (24-hour working disease management center call center).
* Occupation farm employee: 7 days / last disposal from participant: Last disposal period + additional 6 days
□ The H5N6 AI is not likely to be transmitted to the general public because of the low possibility of contact with wild birds or AI farmers, and the possibility of human infection is extremely low. The high-risk group, which directly contacted poultry, said it would do its best to prevent AI human infection by working closely with the livestock-sanitary authorities and the municipalities because of the possibility of sporadic human infection.
1. AI human body infection response
2. AI Human Infection Prevention Behavior
3. Prevention of AI poultry disposal