Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Over-The-Hill-Gang



# 2008


I am, sadly, no longer the dashing young paramedic of my youth. While in my 20's I could easily run a double (48 hr) shift, and after a good night's sleep, be ready for more - today if I miss my afternoon nap I get cranky.


Is it possible that this was me just over 30 years ago?








This newspaper clipping is from early 1976. And yes technology spotters, that museum piece that I'm holding are the paddles to a brand new Lifepack V. And that's a Motorola `orange box' telemetry set in the background.


Over the years since that photo was taken something happened. My hairline has receded while my waistline expanded, without my glasses everything within six feet now appears as a soft blur, and my back and knees scream in protest at the slightest provocation.


You see, like many of us born in the 1950's, age has caught up with me.


While some of my generation may mistakenly believe we are ready for the scrap heap, the truth is, during the next pandemic we may be our nation's secret weapon.


Pandemic flu in general, and bird flu in particular, likes younger people. As this chart shows, 90% of all recorded cases of bird flu, and the highest mortality rates, appear in those under the age of 40.




Those of us over 40, and particularly those over 50, need to consider volunteering to work during a pandemic. Current trends suggest we are not only less likely to contract the flu, we are also more likely to survive it.



Even if these trends do not hold in a pandemic, it still makes sense for the older members of our society to take on some of the risks so as to spare the younger generation where we can.


No, we can't do all of the work, but we can help reduce the risks for many young people.


There are going to be literally millions of jobs that will be begging for volunteers during a pandemic. And no . . . you don't have to be an ex-medic to be of use.


We're going to need people who can volunteer to work telephone banks, drive trucks, cook food, work as hospital security, knock on doors to check on your neighbors, help distribute food, water, and supplies to your neighborhood, along with scores of other jobs.


You could volunteer to tend to sick people in their homes in your neighborhood, or to take in children who's parents are either sick, or have succumbed to the virus. You could serve on a neighborhood watch, or some other community response group.


The American Red Cross, CERT, and the Medical Reserve Corps will all be looking for people who want to help. Other organizations and agencies will be looking for local volunteers as well.


The possibilities are endless. As will be the need.


I am in hopes that, like our parent's generation after Pearl Harbor, we will respond to our nation's call. That the empty-nester's and the 50-something's of this nation will band together to form a graying army of volunteers, ready and willing to do the jobs we wouldn't wish on our kids.


No, I don't expect that I could replace a 25 year old paramedic today. I haven't the skills, knowledge or stamina. But I know there will be something I can do during a pandemic.


If you are over 40 or 45, and particularly if you are an empty-nester, your nation and your community will need your help in a pandemic.


Now is the time to start investigating local volunteer groups and learning how you can help.