Thursday, September 24, 2009

Almost Back

 

 

# 3762

 

Although I physically returned from the CIDRAP conference in the wee hours overnight, I am admittedly still bleary-eyed, travel-weary, and drowning in an avalanche of news reports, emails, and information I received from this conference.   

 

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. 

 

The H1N1 summit meeting was incredibly interesting, useful, and not surprisingly . . . quite enjoyable, as well.   Over the next couple of days I’ll try to share some of the highlights.

 

I’d be remiss if I didn’t immediately thank  CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research & Policy) and its director Dr. Michael Osterholm for the invitation and for the opportunity to be a small part of this summit’s agenda.

 

Mike Osterholm, of course, is a consummate host and speaker and the team at CIDRAP (and their partners) did an incredible job putting this conference together and kept it running like a well-oiled machine.

 

It was a genuine thrill to be part of it.

 

It was also terrific to finally meet fellow blogger Scott McPherson, although we’ve been cyber-friends for several years.  A bit ironic that two Floridians had to each travel 1300 miles to Minnesota to finally meet up. 


The third blogger in attendance was my good friend Indigo Girl of allnurses.com  pandemic flu forum, who followed the health care workers track of breakout sessions.   Between the three of us, over the next few days, you can probably get a good sense of what this summit was like.

 

Suffice to say, if you ever have the opportunity to attend one in the future, you shouldn’t pass it up.

 

And finally, a word of thanks to my fellow media panelists who were a joy to work with. The moderator Joel Kramer of Minnpost.com, Amy Burkholder of CBS Evening News with Katie Couric,  Betsy McKay of the Wall Street Journal, and chief science correspondent of NBC news Robert Bazell.

 

Now  . . . time to start my third pot of coffee, and start going through my email inbox.