Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Referral: Effect Measure On The Transmissibility Of Tamiflu Resistant Swine Flu

 

# 3939

 

 

Yesterday, when I read a  Bloomberg story entitled Swine Flu That Resists Tamiflu Is Harder to Spread, WHO Says  I mentally cringed remembering similar statements making the rounds a couple of years ago about the then spotty reports of resistant seasonal H1N1 viruses.  

 

They were less genetically `fit’, and unlikely to spread; at least, that was the claim.  Today, practically all seasonal H1N1 is Tamiflu resistant, and it spreads quite well, thank you.

 

I saved the article to my desktop, with a vague intention to blog on it over the next couple of days. 

 

This morning, I’m pleased to report the Revere’s at Effect Measure have already undertaken that task, and have dissected this reassuring claim far more authoritatively than I could have.

 

Does Tamiflu resistant swine flu virus really spread less well?