Thursday, June 14, 2012

Drinking From The Twitter Fire Hose

 

 


# 6387

 

 

Every day I weed through literally hundreds of news stories, press releases, journal articles, and blog posts looking for items that interest me, and I hope, will interest my readers.  

 

I have an RSS feed system that polls 266 different news sources every 20 minutes, and pipes new items to my desktop based on a variety of key words. I rely heavily on the newshounds on FluTrackers and The Flu Wiki, and of course items that come across my Twitter feed.

 

It’s a lot to keep track of, and even with RSS tools and the able assistance of the newshounds on the flu forums, it is easy to miss items. 

 

Luckily, over the past couple of years specialized daily newspapers – with news gleaned from twitter feeds – have sprung up, and they increasingly provide another very useful conduit of internet news.

 

In early 2011 I wrote about some of these internet papers in Getting My Daily Twitter Fix. At the time, I highlighted about a half dozen papers I followed, including:

 

The Emergency Management (EM) Daily 

The microbiology Daily

The Sciencemob Daily

The MicrobiologyBytes Daily

 

Since then, the number of papers I follow has increased, and now includes:

 

The DRJ Digest (Disaster Recovery)

The Business Continuity Daily

The bravethestorm.com Daily

The Healthcare Daily

#Publichealth Daily

And the newest entry, started recently by one of my first twitter contacts going back to 2008 - Andrew Wilson - whom I was lucky enough to meet in Washington D.C. a couple of years ago.

 

Health and Human Services News

image

 

 

These genre-based newspapers are a terrific way to quickly scan the enormous content published online each day – usually in very specific fields. Each daily edition usually has dozens of linked stories, easily arranged into 6 to 8 broad categories for quick viewing.

 

You can search for newspapers that cover topics you may be interested in at http://paper.li/, and yes, you can create your own online newspaper as well.

 

If you are looking for a better way to keep track of the avalanche of information that flows continually across the twitterverse, pick a couple of papers that cater to your interests, and give it a go.

 

Just as with your Twitter feed, the quality and reliability of the information in these newspapers will depend upon the quality and reliability of the people they follow.  

 

So examine the list of each paper’s daily contributors, and choose your Daily Newspapers wisely. 

 

And as always, Caveat Lector.