Thursday, September 16, 2021

#NatlPrep: Giving Your Preparedness Plan A Shot In The Arm

 

Note: September is National Preparedness Month.  Follow this year’s campaign on Twitter by searching for the #NatlPrep #BeReady or #PrepMonth hashtags.

This month, as part of #NPM21, I’ll be rerunning some updated preparedness essays, along with some new ones.


#16,191

A short while ago - as I've done every September since the mid-2000's - I rolled up my sleeve to get my annual flu shot.  This year - and for the very first time - I elected to get the Hi-Dose vaccine for those over 65, which should provide a bit more protection given my ageing immune system. 

While you might not have thought about it, getting your seasonal flu shot each year should really be part of your overall preparedness plan. During a disaster or prolonged emergency - like, say a pandemic - you are going to be tired, stressed, and your immune system will likely be weakened. 

The last thing you need to be dealing with during a crisis is to be sick with the flu. Granted, if I were truly committed, I'd also eat healthier, lose weight, and exercise more . . . but at this late date, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

But I do get the flu shot every fall, and have now for 15 years in a row.  Which is why this morning I masked up and visited my local CVS pharmacy, where I got my yearly jab. I made an online appointment, so it was quick, easy, and covered by my insurance.  

While I'm fully aware of the limitations of flu shots, and their lower effectiveness in those over 65, I also know that I haven't had the flu - or any other respiratory illness - for more than a  decade.  

I've participated in the Flu Near You surveillance program - a partnership between HealthMap (healthmap.org), Boston Children’s Hospital, and the Skoll Global Threats Fund - every week since 2011 (see The `Flu Near You’ Survey), and haven't had to report an illness until I contracted COVID in January of this year (note: I've since been double-vaccinated for COVID). 

While I'm sure my obsessive use of hand sanitizer when out in public, my avoidance of crowds during the winter, and no small amount of good luck have probably been big contributors to that remarkable run . . . I've also not missed a flu vaccine since 2005.

This year, the return of seasonal flu, and the how well this year's vaccine will match circulating strains, is more up in the air than usual.  But given my age, comorbidities - and what we know about co-infection with COVID-19 and influenza - I'll take whatever extra insurance I can get. 

Even when the flu shot doesn't prevent infection, there is growing evidence it can reduce the severity of one's illness, and reduce your odds of having a heart attack or stroke.  Some recent studies include:



 
Flu Vaccine May Lower Stroke Risk in Elderly ICU Patients

And to that we can add a number of studies showing a correlation between getting the flu shot and a lower risk of COVID infection, or severe illness if you are infected.   While causality hasn't been proven, there are some pretty strong signals here. 



While the current flu vaccine is far from perfect, and can’t promise 100% protection, it – along with practicing good flu hygiene (washing hands, covering coughs, & staying home if sick) – remains your best strategy for avoiding the flu and staying healthy this winter.

And with our concurrent COVID pandemic, anything that can help keep you out of the hospital this fall and winter is worth considering.