Saturday, October 01, 2022

72 Hours Later

 

1.3 Million Customers Still Without Power 

#17,033


While a last minute turn to the Northeast by Ian spared the Tampa Bay area the worst effects of the storm, we by no means came away unscathed.  Still, when you compare it to what happened 100 miles south of here, we got very, very lucky. 

Since my power was only restored late yesterday afternoon, I'm still trying to catch up on the news while I try to put my disheveled abode back in order.  Other than two days without power, and a `bumpy' 8 to 12 hours as Ian passed to our east, my neighborhood was largely spared. 

As I wrote in my last blog, I still decided to `bug out' to my disaster buddy's place, where I arrived around noon on Wednesday.  We spent the afternoon securing her place, and while the winds rose, the power stayed on all night. 

On Thursday morning Ian was downgraded to a CAT 1, and I decided to return home.  Although it was only 30 miles closer to Ian's path, the situation there had been much different. Stronger winds, heavier rains, and widespread power outages.

But my home survived, as did my neighbor's, and I was prepared to live without power for a few days.  I keep about 60 gals of water stored at my place, have a propane stove, and an ample supply of battery operated lights, fans, and `convenience'  items (see below).  


I also have two fully charged 12 volt battery systems (see below), that can recharge the USB batteries, and even run a small portable DVD player. 

My power was restored after only 36 hours, although there are still about 150,000 customers in three  adjacent counties (Pinellas, Hillsborough, Polk) without power. 

I'm happy to say that everything worked as planned, and I had ample lights, fans, and phone charging, and radio.  Of course, no refrigeration, but I'd frozen a couple of gallons of water in a bin in the freezer, which kept most of my food food good during the outage.

I didn't need to deploy my solar panels, since I only made a modest dent in my power reserves.  Another couple of days without power, and they'd have been brought into play. 

Other than the weight of the lead-acid batteries, I'm very pleased with the setup.  Over the winter I plan to make some improvements, including replacing the lead-acid batteries with a (much lighter, and more efficient) LiFePo4 battery.

The lesson from Ian (and past storms like Irma, Harvey, Maria, and Katrina) , is that you can never be too prepared.  Whether its a hurricane, an earthquake, an ice storm, or some other disaster, you really will be on your own for 3 days or longer.  You may be without power or running water for weeks. Stores may be closed, and relief supplies slow in arriving.

And hardest of all you may even have to leave your home and everything you own, with no guarantee it will be there when you return.

None of that is easy.  But is can be a little less terrible if you know where you will go, and have the essentials to see you through that first week or two of a disaster.

I'm thankful the storm passed me by, but incredibly saddened at the destruction to my south. I've spend a good deal of time visiting and cruising the waters of Ft. Myers, Punta Gorda, and Naples, and have several friends down there. 

I'm also grateful that I had a prearranged `safe' place to go (see #NatlPrep: When Evacuation Is The Better Part of Valor), and the ability to get there.  Not everyone is that lucky.  

I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes (online, and personal messages), and particularly Sharon Sanders of FluTrackers who kept me informed and relayed my status when I was without internet.  

It may take me another day or so to get fully back into blogging, but I expect by Monday it will be AFD as usual.   

Thanks, and stay safe everyone.