Friday, March 03, 2023

Referral: Imperial Medical Blog - Is an H5N1 ‘bird flu’ pandemic inevitable?



#17,327

Those who are familiar with this blog know that I consider myself a chronicler of infectious disease events and information rather than an expert. I started this blog with a stunning lack of knowledge 17 years ago, and whatever I've managed to learn over the years, I owe to others.

While I don't often post a referral to another blog, Virologist Tom Peacock at Imperial College London has crafted an excellent, and succinct, synopsis of where we stand with the H5N1 virus. 

One that quite frankly, I wish I'd written.  So follow the link below to read:

Is an H5N1 ‘bird flu’ pandemic inevitable?

Thomas Peacock

1 March 2023

The largest ever outbreak of bird flu is spilling over into mammals, including foxes and otters in the UK. Could this transmission see a jump to humans? Dr Thomas Peacock from the Department of Infectious Disease discusses.

          (Continue . . . )