Monday, May 06, 2019

National Hurricane Preparedness Week: Day 2 - Develop an Evacuation Plan

Hurricane Irma - NHC Forecast Map Sept 8th, 2017





















#14,047

On Friday morning, Sept 8th, 2017 the entire state of Florida appeared to be under the gun as Category 4 Hurricane Irma appeared poised to slice up the center of the peninsula. 
Although still 72 hours away, my humble abode - which is an older manufactured home surrounded by large, creaky oak trees - sat roughly under the 2am Monday Morning position. 
As much as I hated the idea, it was obvious I had only about 24 hours to pack my small car, detain the cat, secure my house, and get out of Dodge.

Luckily, because I have a small network of `Disaster Buddies', I had several places where my cat and I could go, not counting motels and public shelters.  If you are interested, I detailed the experience in A Post Irma Update.
While I was lucky, and had a home to return to 5 days later, many people - particularly in South Florida and the Keys - lost everything.  Sadly, at least 72 Floridians did not survive the storm.
Day two of National Hurricane Preparedness Week is all about making plans to evacuate before your region is threatened. Deciding what you will do, where you will go, and how you will get there -  now . . . instead of at the last minute.

This from Weather.gov.

Develop an Evacuation Plan (Hurricane Preparedness)

Monday, May 6th




The first thing you need to do is find out if you live in a storm surge hurricane evacuation zone or if you’re in a home that would be unsafe during a hurricane. If you are, figure out where you’d go and how you’d get there if told to evacuate. You do not need to travel hundreds of miles. Identify someone, perhaps a friend or relative who doesn’t live in a zone or unsafe home, and work it out with them to use their home as your evacuation destination. Be sure to account for your pets, as most local shelters do not permit them. Put the plan in writing for you and those you care about.
Maps of evacuation zones courtesy of Federal Alliance for Safe Homes (FLASH)

Although I was reasonably well prepared for Irma (this wasn't this Floridian's first hurricane by a long shot), this was my first genuine bug out situation.  Over the following winter I honed my preps, and my plans, should I ever have to do this again.
You'll find some of those changes outlined in last summer's blog called Little Preps Mean A Lot.
Whether you a fleeing a hurricane, a flood, or fire, being prepared and ready to act swiftly is the best insurance you can have for you, and your loved ones.